Norm

 photo 55af9fb7-20fd-45ef-90dd-86d7ad9f215f_zps732307e3.jpg

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Leg 10

6/6/2014
Norm's Ride
Delta Junction, AK to Fairbanks, AK
98 miles

Welcome to North Pole sign
Welcome to North Pole
We rode around Delta Junction for a little while to find someplace to eat breakfast and finally ended up getting a donut at the local grocery store.  Alaskan's are a breed all their own.  Hearty, self-reliant, helpful. They have to be.  Even though it's beautiful in the summer, I don't think I could take the winters.

Some random Alaskan Man
Alaskan Man
 One last section until we make it to Fairbanks, but before we make it there we stop at North Pole, AK, where I get to talk to Santa and see his reindeer and send post cards.  Jeff is so patient in allowing me to indulge myself at this stop.  What a fun place, but not really a "man's" place. You can see it on the faces of all the husband's that are trailing their wives around the store.  They're not exactly excited to be there.  It's become a big place since the last time I was here in 1998. Reading from the Mile Post," North Pole is one of two energy production centers in Alaska.  Almost half of Alaska Railroad's freight revenue comes from hauling petroleum products made in North Pole.  The Flint Hills North Pole Refinery and the Petro Star Refinery produces heating fuel, jet fuel, asphalt and other petroleum products. Eielson AFB and Fort Wainwright military bases are nearby as well."

Linda & Justin Kleiter at Trails End BMW
Linda and Justin Kleiter at Trails End BMW
Then on to Trails End BMW.  I had emailed Justin Kleiter who is the Sales Mgr. a couple of months ago alerting him of our arrival.  I was excited to meet him as we both have traveled extensively around the world by motorcycle.  But before we could even make it to the front door a few BMW riders that were sitting outside waiting for work to be completed on their bikes recognized me and said that they thought they knew me.  Yep.  They were Iron Butt riders and they knew Norm, too.  They had just ridden the Dalton Hwy the day before and described the adventure that they had just completed.  Didn't sound like much fun to me.  Having second thoughts and cold feet entered my mind.  Then my daughter, Katherine, reminded me that Norm was with me and would protect me.  She's right.  He'd go for it!  And so will I...for him.

Happy Santa, singing bird
Even the animals love Santa
Linda sitting on Santa's lap
Linda sits on Santa's lap
Finally, we made it into the store.  Beautiful!  And, Justin did not disappoint.  What a great guy!  We chatted for quite some time, a long time actually, until we finally left to get something to eat and find lodging.
University of Alaska Fairbanks
The cheapest place to stay in Fairbanks is at the University of Alaska.  You can rent dorm rooms there for about $80/night.  It's been a long time since I've been in a college dorm room.  It certainly brought back memories. Not all good.


Looks like Cliff and Roberta will finally arrive today.  Jeff has kept in touch with them through blogs and email.  I think tonight we'll all be staying at the dorm.  This time it'll be a BIG slumber party.  All six of us. Should be fun!

Depending on how they feel, we may leave for Prudhoe tomorrow.  I'm biting my nails, but Norm says it'll be ok.

- Ed. Note: We all know Norm is with Linda, and I say, "GO, LINDA, GO! RIDE ON, LADY!!" Norm's gentle guidance is pushing you forward. Enjoy - for both of you! - KB

No comments:

Post a Comment